Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Paleo Spaghetti and Meatballs

It's too hot out to exist.  Since moving out of the city, I've tolerated summers a lot better thanks to air conditioning in my home, car, and work.  So basically I can avoid being outdoors if I want to.  Nothing like being baked from your feet up on city sidewalks.  But even though I'm not in a full-body sweat from June to September, I still prefer fall in all its apple-picking glory (the Coach and I went to our local orchard this weekend and 203859048 apples later, I'm a happy camper).  So anyway, I did not enjoy the 95 degree weather we had today.  Yuck.

It was so soupy out this morning that my gym was already hot and humid at 6am.  Supposedly it's air conditioned, but the insta-sweat I acquired by stepping through the door indicates the opposite.  So by the time I got settled and was ready to do my thing, I honestly didn't think I'd be able to hold on to a kettlebell because my hands were already slick.  And the mirrors were fogged up.  So I loudly groaned and hopped on the treadmill with the latest Women's Health and did my old standby walk/read routine that looks like this:

0-5 minutes 3.5 mph, 4.0 incline
5-10 minutes 4.0 mph, 6.0 incline
10-15 minutes 3.5 mph, 10.0 incline
15-20 minutes 4.0 mph, 8.0 incline
20-25 minutes 4.0 mph, 6.0 incline
25-30 minutes 3.5 mph, 10.0 incline
30-35 minutes 4.0 mph, 8.0 incline
35-40 minutes 3.5 mph, 6.0 incline

I like this workout because I can flip through a magazine since the intervals are long enough for me to take my eyes off the clock, but I'm still huffing and puffing at the end.  And you know I love me some people watching at the gym--makes the time fly!

In other exciting news, I conquered my fear and made spaghetti squash last night.  Well, I really didn't conquer anything because I still came pretty close to slicing a finger off.  BUT I did take the advice of my good friend Ray and nuked the whole squash for 3 minutes before cutting it which definitely helped my knife work.  Even so, I need to just get 2 small squashes next time instead of being so entranced by the ginormous one.  But this recipe made me a believer, let me tell you!  I found this recipe in Living Paleo for Dummies and it was a total winner.  I usually avoid spaghetti squash but this dish intrigued me because you cook the meatballs in the oven with the spaghetti squash.  Gotta love cramming the oven full of food!

Paleo Spaghetti and Meatballs
Ingredients:
1 large spaghetti squash
3T water
1lb ground beef
1 large egg
3 cloves garlic, minced
28-oz diced tomatoes
8 large basil leaves, julienned
s&p

Preheat the oven to 375.  Cut the squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds.  Place the squash cut-side down on a baking sheet and sprinkle water around the squash.  In a large bowl, mix the meat, egg, 1 clove of garlic, s&p.  Roll in to meatballs (I got about 12) on another baking sheet.  Place both baking sheets in the oven for 25-30 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat some cooking fat on the stove over medium heat and cook the other 2 cloves garlic until fragrant, about 60 seconds.  Then add the tomatoes and basil, season with s&p.  Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer.
When the timer goes off, the meatballs should be golden brown.  Leave the spaghetti squash in the oven for 10 more minutes.  Put the meatballs in the sauce to stay warm.  When the squash is done, scrape the inside with a fork to shred the squash in to spaghetti-like strands.  Mix it also together and, voila!  Paleo spaghetti and meatballs!


Source


This meal was so good and reminded me more of real spaghetti and meatballs than my beloved zoodles do.  But more dangerous in a dismemberment sort of way...anyway the Coach and I slurped it up!  The meatballs were really moist and tender, not dried out like the ones I've tried that use coconut flour, or crumbly like ones with almond flour.  Definitely a hit in our house!

Hope everyone survived the heat today!



2 comments:

  1. I make this all the time. I'm happy you're not scared of the spaghetti squash any longer! Btw, it's way easier to chop open if you microwave it for a couple minutes...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually remember you saying that so I tried it when I made this recipe and it worked! I updated the post because microwaving it first definitely helpled. Thanks bud :)

      Delete