Sunday, September 1, 2013

I'm Baaaaack + Chinese Fried Rice


It's officially the end of summer, so I am officially back in action.  See what I did there--made it seem like I intentionally took a warm weather hiatus from blogging?  In reality, the Coach's summer schedule allowed him to get home from work by 6 every night, and his presence made the whole "I'm going to blog in order to keep myself from snacking until my husband gets home" routine unnecessary.  So instead I spent the summer stockpiling some delish recipes to report on once I'm once again twiddling my thumbs until it's time for family dinner.

Today is the perfect day to start, as the Coach is away for the weekend...at a bachelor party...in Vegas.  I'm a pretty cool wife, no?  Really, I was also invited since it's a joint bachelor-bachelorette deal but I had to work this weekend so it was a solo trip for my better half.  I'm trying not to dwell on how ridiculously jealous and painfully bummed I am not to not be partaking in the celebration.  

In other masochistic news, I'm finishing up my second Whole30.  I'm actually on Day 29 of a Whole35--I added some extra days because my birthday is next week so why not honor 5 weeks of no grains, dairy, legumes, sugar or alcohol with birthday cake?  If you recall, I kind of went bananas after my first Whole30, celebrating my last day with lots of sweets and booze and basically flushing all my hard work down the toilet.  Looks like I'm heading down that road again...but I'm too excited for dinner out with the Coach followed by my mom's cheesecake the next day to responsibly modify my plans by slowly exposing myself to those sinful foods.  Gluttonous indulgence it is then!

As I still have 5 days remaining between me and a slice of gluten-free pizza, this recipe is Whole30-approved.  The Coach and I used to get Chinese take-out all the time when we lived in Boston, and even though we have yet to find a restaurant that rivals the whole-in-the-wall joint on the BU campus we frequented post-bar so many times in our youth, we have narrowed in on a few contenders since moving to upstate NY.  Since adopting a mostly Paleo lifestyle however, eating greasy takeout usually leaves me feeling ill 100% of the time, so this fried rice recipe has come in handy when I'm trying to quench the craving without having to lie down for an hour afterward.

Chinese fried rice
Ingredients:
1lb ground chicken
1 head cauliflower
3 eggs
1T fresh grated ginger
1 large garlic clove minced
1 large onion, diced
1 pepper, diced
3 carrots, diced
1/2t cayenne
3T low sodium tamari (or soy, aminos, etc)
1t toasted sesame oil 

First, rice your cauliflower.  I prefer this method: chop up the florets in to chunks small enough to fit in to a blender.  Then fill the blender with water and pulse until you get tiny, rice-sized pieces (for me it's about 10 pulses).  Drain, and then steam your cauliflower in the microwave until nearly tender.

While the cauliflower is going, heat a large skillet over medium heat, add the sesame oil, and scramble your eggs.  Take your eggs out while they're still soft and not completely done, they'll continue to cook when you add them back in.

Add some cooking fat to the skillet (I used coconut oil) crank the heat up to medium high.  Brown your chicken and season with s&p.  Once that's done, add your veggies (feel free to change these up, broccoli slaw would probably be a nice sub) and cook until tender.

Once your veggies are cooked, add the tamari, cayenne, garlic, and ginger.  Add your cauliflower back to the pot, reduce heat to medium-low, and let everything hang out for 5-10 minutes.  Throw your eggs in to the mix, and taste for seasoning.  Enjoy!

DSC_0996
Source


This meal really is pretty killer.  The Coach picked out the biggest head of cauliflower I've ever seen so we had massive amounts of leftovers, which I am still enjoying.  And I'm not one to partake in leftovers, really at all.  It seems like a lot of steps but aside from having to clean an extra piece of equipment (the blender), this meal is pretty cinchy.  And a pretty good fake-out.  So make it and let me know what ya think, ok?

Hope everyone is enjoying their Labor Day weekend!  Back to work for the holiday for this girl though.  I've had two days with lots of rest + shopping, a good combo considering the crummy weather so I can't complain.  Thanks for coming back and checking out the blog! 

No comments:

Post a Comment