Sunday, September 8, 2013

Barbacoa Meatballs

Football is back!  I'm so happy to have Tom Brady back in the house again, it just feels right.  The only thing that would make this Pats game better would be a nice fall-ish beer, but my stomach is NOT happy with all the birthday food I've been eating lately, so that will have to wait.

The Coach took me out to a delicious pre-birthday dinner at a new-to-us restaurant on Friday (Tala Bistro for the locals), where I had possibly one of the greatest bites of food of my life.  It was called "ham and eggs", and was a piece of barbecued pork belly sitting on a mound of the smoothest sweet potato puree, topped with a fried egg.  Holy yum.  And very kosher.  It basically required a moment of silence.  After that, the rest of the meal was pretty good, but nothing could compare to that plate of utter heaven.

Yesterday we spent my birthday with my family, chatting and laughing, and enjoying my mom's chocolate chip cheesecake (are you starting to see why my belly is unhappy).  We stayed over night with my parents, planning on going for a hike this morning but it was drizzly out so instead we opted to cozy up with coffee on the couch and relax.  Definitely a good call.  I had a great birthday, full of quality family time and the sweetest messages from my friends :)  It almost makes me excited to officially be in my late 20s...

I'm happy to have a fridge full of healthy eats right now.  Nothing like a weekend full of sugar foods to make you excited to eat a salad.

I made this recipe a few weeks ago and the Coach and I agreed that this was a really fun twist on your standard meatball.  I've become a huge meatball fan recently but I'm on a perpetual hunt for something different, so this dish was right up my alley.  The original recipe calls for lime zest, but I didn't have a lime on hand so used an orange instead and loved the interesting flavors.  I also eliminated the coriander and cinnamon because, well, I just can't get in to the flavor of coriander, and without that spice I figured the cinnamon was unnecessary.

Barbacoa meatballs
Ingredients:
1lb ground beef
1t granulated garlic
1t cumin
1t chili powder
1t paprika
1t oregano
1/2t salt
1/2t cayenne
zest of 1 orange


Preheat your oven to 400.  In a large bowl, thoroughly mix together all the meatball ingredients.  Roll the meat in to 12-15 meatballs and put them on an oven-safe baking dish.  Bake until cooked through, about 20 minutes.

barbacoa meatballs
Source
I mean, how easy is that recipe?  You have no excuse to not try this one out.  I served the meatballs with carrot-flower puree and the Coach and I couldn't get enough.  The meat was tangy and spicy while the puree was deliciously sweet and smooth.  These meatballs would also be good served with a nice salsa or gauc on the side, or even just cooked up as ground beef on the stove top for taco salads.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment