Thursday, May 2, 2013

Taco Salad with Pineapple Cucumber Salsa

Got a small sunburn on my arms eating lunch outside today.  I might seem to be elderly given by early bird bedtime, but I continue to be too immature to remember sunscreen.  Woops.

The Coach is watching Ridiculousness on MTV right now.  I hate this show--maybe it's because I work with patients with spinal cord injuries, but every time these fools crash into / fall off of something it makes me feel ill.  Anyone else?

Apparently I'm feeling a bit rambly this evening...welcome to the randomness of my mind!

Workout

 I was tired at the gym today.  I dragged my butt in because I'm too stubborn to admit defeat but I really wasn't feel it.  UNTIL I saw a woman who was probably in her 70's doing kettlebell swings.  Beautiful swings, I might add.  If that woman can haul tush at 6AM, I certainly can.  Such a good motivator.

After my daily does of inspiration, I got down to today's workout, which included lunges with an overhead reach using a medicine ball.  Lunges + any upper body move is a nice way to work some core strengthening in to your session and jack your heart rate up pretty quickly--I like these overhead reaches where you grab the heaviest med ball you can find (or simply use a dumbbell), hold it in front of your chest in the starting position, then simply bring the ball up over your head as you lunge forward.  Make sure to squeeze your bum as you push back to the starting position, lowering the ball to your chest, then alternate to the other leg.  Why is it that you can be a pretty dedicated gym-goer, and lunges are still tough?  And still leave your quads quivering the next day?  Oy.

Eats

Today's warm temps had my itching for a fresh dinner, so I'm happy I had this recipe for taco salad from Practical Paleo on tap.  You all know I'm a fan of the one pot meal, so this was a fun little change up for us!  I made the taco meat and salsa below, but also chopped up some plum tomatoes and avocado to toss in the mix as well.  Here's how the meat and salsa came together:

Taco meat
16oz ground beef
1/2 red onion, chopped (other half used in the salsa)
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1T apple cider vinegar
1/2T cumin
1/2T chili powder
1/2t cayenne
s&p

Heat a skillet over medium-high heat with some cooking fat.  Brown your meat, then toss in the rest of the ingredients when your meat is about half way cooked.  Stir everything together until the meat is no longer pink, then use as a base for the rest of your toppings!

Pineapple Cucumber salsa
1c pineapple, chopped
1 cucumber, chopped
1/2 red onion, chopped
juice of 1 lime
cilantro to taste
s&p

This one's pretty easy--just toss everything together and taste to adjust the seasoning! 






Paleo Taco Salad
Source




The pineapple salsa was SO GOOD!  The Coach took one bite and exclaimed, "Damn that's fresh".  The combo of sweet and juicy pineapple with the crisp cucumber was really nice, plus how bad can anything with avocado taste?  Also, did you know that if your avocado is ripe but you're not ready to eat it, you can put it in the fridge for up to 5 days?  Thank you Google, because now I know that.  The seasoning mix on the taco meat was perfect, although I might add some tomato paste to make it a bit saucier next go around.  Sometimes I just like to be a bit saucy, y'know?

I have one more meal planned from Practical Paleo, but if it's as good as any one of these simple recipes I'm definitely planning on purchasing that book.  Everything so far has been a hit!

Hope you all have some fun weekend plans in the sunshine!


No comments:

Post a Comment