Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Sausage, Cauliflower, and Spinach Casserole

Happy Hump Day!  My alarm clock went off this morning and woke me from a super vivid dream, which had me pretty disoriented all morning.  Typically by the time my phone goes off I'm sleeping pretty lightly but this morning I saw intense pillow creases on my face in the mirror, and knew I was completely zonked before my alarm jolted me awake.  Not the most pleasant start to the day.

In other news, the battery on my iPhone is fading--completely died for the fourth day in a row after being off the charger for 8 hours.  So frustrating.  I'm planning on going to Apple this weekend, which I HATE because they always make me feel like I'm such a bad Mac-momma.  "You have water damage", "your screen is filthy", "your case is pretty dinged up", etc.  Sorry Genius Bar, let's just be happy the phone you're holding hasn't fallen in the toilet yet, ok?

Workout

I have rounds on Wednesdays so I have to go to work early...every Wednesday...and yet I continue to get to the gym late specifically on these days and only have 15 minutes to work out.  I try to make those 15 minutes count by doing some high intensity activity or another, so today I did a tabata (20 sec of hard work, 10 sec off) including jumping rope and walking lunges.  Major red face after that, but glad I banged out something worthwhile despite the time crunch.

Eats

I've been on a bit of a casserole kick lately, only Monday night's meal was pretty meh.  Last night's, however, was delicious.  I love a good one-pot meal, plus this one managed to sneak spinach in to the mix, which I typically only partake in when part of a salad.  This casserole, adapted from The Preppy Paleo, was super tasty, probably from the sun dried tomato action.  The original recipe called for ricing the cauliflower then steaming it in chicken stock, but I'm way too lazy for that, plus who cares if the cauliflower is grain-sized when it's going to wind up in a casserole anyway?  So I adapted the recipe to make it simpler, here's how it went:

Sausage, cauliflower, and spinach casserole
Ingredients:
1 head of cauliflower, chopped
1 lb. sausage
5 cups raw spinach
1/2 can of full-fat coconut milk 
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes, packed in oil
2t garlic powder
1T tomato paste
s&p to taste

Preheat your oven to 350.  Then heat an oven-proof casserole dish over medium-high heat and brown your sausage.  While that's going, steam your cauliflower.  When the sausage is done, add the spinach and mix it around until it's wilted, then throw in the cauliflower,  sun dried tomatoes, tomato paste, garlic powder and s&p.  While that's cooking together for a couple minutes, mix the eggs and coconut milk with s&p.  Then simply add the egg and milk mixture to the meat and veggies and mix together quickly before the eggs start to set at all, and throw it in the oven.  Cook for 35-40 minutes until the middle of the casserole is set.  Enjoy!

Source

This meal was so easy to make and packed with veggies.  I was really surprised how just 1/4c of sun dried tomatoes could flavor a whole dish!  The original recipe didn't call for tomato paste, but the Coach always talks about how tomato paste has lots of lycopene in it, so I threw it in there.  I buy tomato paste in the toothpaste-like containers that are at most grocery stores now, because unless you have a recipe that calls for a full 6oz, the rest usually goes to waste if all you need is 1-2T.  As we were eating last night, I kept turning to the Coach and commenting how surprised I was that the dish turned out so well--sometimes it's the simple recipes that taste the best!

Off to use up the rest of my jar of sun dried tomatoes for dinner...hmmm guess what I'm making?

No comments:

Post a Comment