Sunday, May 12, 2013

Greek Chicken Hash

Happy Mother's Day!  Hope everyone had a nice day celebrating the mama's in your life, or being pampered yourselves.  The Coach and I traveled to CT today to enjoy dinner with my parents and both my sisters and their families.  We had a blast, and the day only would have been better if I had gotten to spend time with my mother-in-law as well!

We got to CT early so we met my parents at Whole Foods.  It's only been within the past couple of years that I started cooking dinner every night, and my "real, whole food" eating style hasn't come around until the last year, and I haven't been to WF since these changes.  Holy food palace.  The degree of amazing, non-processed, real ingredient options there is unreal.  I totally get why they call it "Whole Paycheck".  I could have wandered around there for hours, literally.  Choosing lunch from the hot bar was hard enough.  The Coach and I ended up leaving with some freshly ground mixed nut butter (combo of almonds, walnuts, pecans, cashews, and Brazil nuts), coconut flour (first time buying this, couldn't resist the $4 price tag), and some all-natural jalapeno ranch salad dressing for the Coach.  Good thing we had a 2 1/2 hour drive back, because the insane amount of Applegate Farms hot dog options had me wishing we had a cooler with us.  Did I mention hot dogs are one of my favorite foods?  Can't wait to use the coconut flour in something...hoping the new cookbook I ordered from Amazon, Well Fed by the blogger of The Clothes Make the Girl, has some inspiring dishes that call for this paleo ingredient.

Workout

I made sure to get to the gym for a quick workout this morning--I find that long car rides are way more tolerable when I've burned some energy beforehand.  The gym was pretty quiet, but the bike I chose was right next to a middle-aged man pumping so slowly I was impressed with what I assumed was a crazy high resistance level.  When I snoopishly glanced at this display, I realized the bike wasn't even on!  He was pushing the pedals in slow motion with no resistance--actually not that easy to do in reality.  5 minutes in, he began doing rhythmic fist pumps.  He seemed pretty dedicated to his routine, I had to hand it to him, even with his arms flailing about.  It was entertaining and made my gym time fly by.

Eats

I actually made this Greek chicken recipe a few days ago and never got around to blogging about it, because of my state of supreme exhaustion last week.  I'm always up for a one-pot meal, especially since the Coach has been home late this trimester so I like to get most of the dishes done so he doesn't have to scrub pans right up until bedtime.  I try to choose recipes where I can start the cooking process and continue to prep ingredients while the meal is getting underway, and this dish is a great example of that.  As always I couldn't resist the temptation to modify, so here's how my interpretation of this recipe came together:

Greek chicken hash
Ingredients:
1lb ground chicken
2-4c steamed veg of your choice (I did a combo of snow peas and green beans)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeno, chopped (I left the veins and seeds in for extra heat, scrape those out for a milder dish)
1t dried oregano
zest & juice of 1 lemon
¼c coconut milk (or stock)
s&p

Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and saute chicken until cooked through.  While the chicken is cooking, steam your veggies.  To the cooked chicken, add in the garlic, jalapeno  and oregano and cook for about 2 minutes.  Add in the lemon juice + zest and the coconut milk or stock. Stir everything around and make sure you get up all the bits that might be stuck to the pan.  Add in your steamed vegetables and let reduce until most of the liquid has evaporated.


greek chicken hash
Source


This meal was delicious.  I LOVE lemon, so the fresh citrus taste paired nicely with the herby chicken.  I often like to swap out chicken stock for coconut milk because I love the creamy texture and subtle sweetness it lends to most meals.  The original recipe calls for chicken thighs which weren't at the supermarket during my weekly shop so I subbed in ground chicken--never be afraid to try different cuts or types of meat with these recipes!  Anyway, the Coach and I really liked this one, especially because it was a change from the never ending cycle of Asian and Mexican dishes I've been creating lately.  Yum!

Hope everyone enjoyed today with their family, have a nice start to the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment