Monday, May 6, 2013

Creamy Avocado Stir-Fry

Wah for Monday.  This past weekend was just too nice to end, in my opinion.  The Coach and I spent Sunday in Saratoga, walking around shops, eating delicious food, and lounging in the park.  Perfection.  Topped off by an absolutely delicious new creation, so stay tuned for that below.

Workout

I woke up this morning very much NOT pumped to work out.  I was energized but just had lots of stuff on my mind and figured it'd be hard to focus lifting with good form, so I opted for one of my standby run/walk treadmill routines that looked like this:

0-5 minutes 4.0 mph, 1.0 incline
5-10 minutes 7.0 mph, 2.0 incline
10-12 minutes 4.0 mph, 2.0 incline
12-14 minutes 4.0 mph, 8.0 incline
14-16 minutes 3.5 mph, 10.0 incline
16-18 minutes 4.0 mph, 8.0 incline
18-20 minutes 4.0 mph, 2.0 incline
20-25 minutes 6.5 mph, 2.0 incline
25-30 minutes 4.0 mph, 1.0 incline

Those sneaky 5 minutes runs really had me sweaty and red-faced.  Quick but effective workout!  Plus the gym was weirdly packed for a Monday morning so I had lots of good people-watching action.  The trainers at my gym have their clients to the oddest things, sometimes it's hard to decide if I'm entertained or horrified (usually the former but occasionally the latter when I think about these clients turning in to patients with back problems one day--I can't quiet the physical therapist in me so easily).

Eats

OK, so this dish I made last night was killer.  Like crazy good and crazy easy.  Would I deliver anything less?  The original recipe is from Carrots 'n' Cake, but I had to modify since my supermarket was all out of zucchini for zoodles (made using the julienne peeler) and I continue to resist the lure of the spaghetti squash because...let's be honest, it's because I'm too lazy.  Plus I wanted to have some protein in there so I adapted the dish to include some hot sausage.  I used broccoli as my veg, but you could obviously use zucchini or spaghetti squash, or any other vegetable you like.  Here's how my version came together:

Creamy avocado stir fry
Ingredients
16oz sausage
1 ripe avocado
2T sunflower seed butter (or any nut butter)
1 clove garlic
juice of 1 lime
1T rice wine vinegar
1/2c coconut milk
1/2t salt
~4c steamed veg of your choice

Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and brown your sausage.  While that's working, steam your vegetables.  Then, put the avocado, nut butter, garlic, lime juice, vinegar, coconut milk, and salt in a blender and blend until smooth.  When your sausage is done, add the steamed veggies to the pan and stir them around a bit.  Then add the sauce and let the whole thing hang out for a few minutes over medium-low heat for the flavors to meld.

Creamy_Avocado_Spaghetti_Squash
Source


The sauce was so freaking good.  The creamy avocado plus the zesty lime juice was reminiscent of guacamole, while the sweetness of the coconut milk played nicely with the spicy sausage.  This was really so yummy and a cinch to toss together.  Please, please try this.  It's worth dusting off your blender.  And I don't say that lightly.

Hope everyone had as lovely a weekend as I did, and an easy start to the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment