Thursday, April 25, 2013

Thai Stiry Fry

So today was a long day at work BUT something pretty awesome happened.  My patient's 4-year-old granddaughter was visiting her, and after I complimented this little munchkin on her stellar bright yellow sunglasses, she promptly did the entire Gangnam Style dance.  It. Was. Amazing.  I asked her to do it again (obviously) and she grabbed my hand and then taught me how to do it.  I high-fived her and then she offered me a fist bump, after which she said "Wattup".  I loved her.  I want one JUST like that.  Totally made my day.

Workout

Today was the third day in a row that I had to be in to work early, so I skipped the gym.  That is, I set my alarm with the intention of going in, then woke up at 5 and couldn't bear the thought of another rushed workout.  And then I couldn't fall back to sleep.  So instead I slowly sipped my coffee and then actually went to the supermarket to get some non-perishable items.  6:30AM is a great time to go to the grocery store, by the way.  Then a nice Starbucks run and phone chat with my mom before work.  A weird but kind of awesome start to my day!

So when I was more motivated to haul tush in the gym yesterday morning, I did a tabata workout (a tabata is just a format for high intensity interval training where you do something hard for 20 seconds, then rest for 10 seconds, and repeat).  Yesterday I alternated lunges with a 12kg kettlebell and jumping rope--this is so easy to recreate at any gym or at home, just hold a dumbbell (or no weight at all) and do jumping jacks if you don't have a jump rope.  I alternated each exercise for 6 rounds, then rested for 2 minutes, then repeated one more time.  So basically my workout looked like this:

20s lunges
10s rest
20s jumping rope
10s rest

Do that 4-6 times.  Then rest for a few minutes.  Then do it again.  Not that complicated right?  It reads pretty easy but it will jack up your heart rate quickly, let me tell ya.  Major sweaty mess status right there.

Eats

So ever since I made sunshine sauce from The Clothes Make the Girl, I use the delectable topping on just about anything, on the reg.  It's such a cinch to throw together and any ingredient thrown in the mix comes out tasting amazing.  This recipe uses sunflower butter (I get Organic SunButter, it's the only one that doesn't have cane juice in it, an added sweetener), but you could easily swap in almond or peanut butter.  I don't follow the original recipe exactly, but I have to give that blogger credit for coming up with this unreal sauce.

Thai stir fry
Ingredients:
16oz ground turkey (or chicken, or pork)
coconut oil
1 lime, juiced
2 garlic cloves, grated
1T ginger, grated
4T low sodium tamari (soy sauce, aminos, etc)
1T rice vinegar
1/4c sunflower seed butter
1/2c coconut milk
1/2t cayenne (or sriracha if you don't mind the added sugar)
Any steamed veggies you like--I used 12oz each of the following, chopped: snow peas, french green beans, and carrots

First, brown your ground meat in a large skillet in some coconut oil.  While this is working through, steam and chop your veggies.  Whisk all of the other ingredients together in a bowl.  When the chicken is cooked through, dump the veggies and the sauce in the pan and cook for a few minutes.  Make sure to taste this and adjust as needed!

paleo pad thai
http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/


This is so good.  Every time I make it the Coach and I silently nod at each other while we're inhaling the deliciousness (yup, that's a word).  If you like Asian food, you must try this.  You could even make a little omelet on the side in some sesame oil, chop it up and toss it in the mix for some added protein and a take on pad Thai!  I rarely garnish my food because I'm usually too hungry by the time it's done to care, but some chopped cashews (like in the picture) never hurt anyone.

Happy almost end of the week everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment