Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Sweet Potato Fries

Hi there blog world!  Hope everyone's week is going well so far!  After coming back from Boston, I wasn't particularly inspired to try lots of new dishes this week, and I've been enjoying some old standbys so far, including stir fried cabbage sausage and apple.  I really had no idea that cabbage could take on such a sweet taste.  Yum.

When I did Whole30 last time around, I made sure to have a cup of tea each night after dinner--something with a sweet taste to simulate dessert (I realize that I'm not fooling anyone, a giant bowl of ice cream would have been much better but, alas, I need to fit in to my scrubs every morning).  Last time it was vanilla chamomile which was pretty stellar.  But I've discovered something better.  Coconut cocoa tea.  Kind of like sipping hot chocolate before bed.  Plus, tea made with cocoa powder has lots of antioxidants, so that's a bonus.  But who am I kidding, I like pretending it's real chocolate.

Workout

Today's workout was grueling.  The Coach likes to sneak in these tough kettlebell complexes in to my workouts, and they always destroy me.  Today's format was pretty straight forward with 5 exercises, and 5 rounds.  First round: each exercise 5 times.  Second round: each exercise 4 times.  And so on until your last round when you do each exercise just once.  Sounds easy, but it's not.  I used a heavier kettlebell for today's workout, but in case you don't have access to a kettlebell, try something like this while holding two dumbells (maybe 10lbs each?) at your sides:

Dumbell Complex
5-4-3-2-1- Squats
5-4-3-2-1- Bent over row
5-4-3-2-1- Lunges
5-4-3-2-1- Shoulder press in a 1/2 kneeling position (a.k.a. "proposal pose")
5-4-3-2-1- Push-ups
Repeat 2-3x through as quickly as you can with a 2-minute rest after you've completed the full complex

 The key to these kind of workouts is hauling ass.  That's what revs up your heart rate best and does all sorts of good things for your bod.  Try it!

Eats

So I'm going to repeat another oldie but a goodie now.  Like a serious goodie.  Like make this tonight.  Enter: sweet potato fries, adapted from Simply Recipes.  I usually make a sweet potato side dish once per week--I figure I work out at least 5 days a week so a higher carb night is allowed.  This is my absolute favorite way to eat sweet potatoes, ESPECIALLY when I dip them in almond butter.  Holy sh*t.  Pardon my language.  But not really, because you'll say that too when you try these.

Sweet potato fries
Ingredients:
3 large sweet potatoes
2T olive oils
1T salt
1T seasoning (my favorite is pumpkin pie spice, goes so well with almond butter, but you could do Cajun, curry, chili powder or whatever you like)

Preheat oven to 450.
Chop up your pots however you like.  The easiest way for me is to cut one lengthwise wedge off the side of the potato approx 1/2-1" thick, then rotate the pot so that the flat side is against your board for stability, then cut another lengthwise wedge.  Keep rotating until you've cut the whole thing, then slice those wedges in to fries.  Best way to come out of your prep with all 10 fingers intact!
Mix your fries with the oil, then your seasoning.
Cook at 450 for 15 min, toss, then cook for 10-15 more until crispy on the outside and cooked through on the inside.

Media
http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/oven_baked_sweet_potato_fries/
I'm obsessed with these, and shocked at how yummy they are.  Every.  Single.  Time.  The Coach and I can't get enough.

That's all for now.  Happy eating everyone :)

No comments:

Post a Comment