Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Sad Day + Oven Baked Burgers

It didn't feel right to publish the post I was planning on writing yesterday.  As someone who went to college and grad school in Boston, a place where I met my husband and lived my first year of married life 5 blocks from the marathon finish line, yesterday's events hit far too close.  My heart goes out to my second home, and I'm sending lots of love to everyone affected by the tragedy.

*          *          *

Workout

So I've finally started a new workout program!  Well really it's the same program I started last month, just rebooted for April.  The Coach recommended some tortuous metabolic finishers to up the fat burn so I was pretty excited/terrified to get try them out today.  Today's workout looked like this: stability ball leg curls, dumbell rows, goblet squats, 1-arm bench, and farmer carries.  1-arm bench is a versatile exercise where you hold a dumbell in just 1 arm, which really challenges your core if you're set on not tipping off the bench.  I finished everything up with 20/20 battle ropes, x 5.  For a high intensity sesh lasting less than 5 minutes, this killed me.  Only 20 seconds of rest after throwing those heavy ropes around gave me crazy jello arms.

Eats

I really love burgers.  I'm desperate to have a grill so I can throw some burgers on to get that yummy flavor that you just can't simulate indoors, but alas, our outdoor living space is somewhat limited these days.  I've tried indoor grill pans but we also have pretty poor ventilation, so this tends to smoke up the apartment and make my clothes smell like burnt meat.  Not awesome.  So when I stumbled across this recipe for oven baked burgers, I was excited to try it out.  And...success!  These burgers turned out juicy and flavorful, and were a perfect counterpoint to the mountain of sauteed onions I smothered them with.  Here's how this one went:

Oven baked burgers
Ingredients:
1lb ground beef (I used 93% lean)
1/2t garlic salt
1/4t pepper

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Mix all the ingredients together until just incorporated--overmixing will result in tough burgers!  Then simply divide the meat mixture in to 4 patties, throw on a baking rack over a cookie sheet linted with foil.  Bake for 10-12 minutes, flip, and bake for 10-12 minutes more.  Let those guys rest for a few minutes before eating to let the juices redistribute, then top with your favorite accompaniments!

Oven Baked Burger
http://healthylivinghowto.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/oven-baked-burger-1024x680.jpg

The Coach and I were really impressed with how flavorful this dish turned out, given how simple it was.  And I really loved being able to avoid opening every window and door in the apartment to air out the smoke.  I'm pumped that I nailed down this cooking method so that I can experiment with lots of different accompaniments as the warmer weather sets in--I'm thinking toppings like guac or bacon jam.  Holy yum.

*          *          *

 Hope you all took the time to hug someone you love today, I know I did :)

No comments:

Post a Comment