Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Cauliflower Rice Pilaf

Happy Hump Day!  Apparently the ultra-relaxing weekend I had was not enough, and I'm already feeling exhausted and ready for Friday at 5.  Anyone else with me?

Workout

Possibly adding to my overall blah-ness today is a case of the workout blues: I'm still doing my own thing at the gym these days (planning to start a new program next week), but upon waking up the morning my body just felt BEAT.  Every couple of months I get a random bout of hip pain (I know, I'm approximately 85 years old)--I'm not sure if this is just based on my anatomy, my years of poorly trained cross-country and track in high school (basically going from sitting on my butt all summer to running 5+ miles daily), or something else entirely.  Regardless, it's annoying but usually goes away with a couple of days off.  This morning I went in to the gym without a clear plan as to what I was doing, and noticed some achiness in my hips as I was warming up, so I opted to do a mostly upper body and core workout that looked like this: rear-foot elevated split squats (bodyweight), bent over rows, anti-rotation press, shoulder presses in half kneel, and stability ball front planks.  It was a good workout, but I'll probably skip the gym tomorrow.

I feel old.

Eats

Last night's dinner was a new recipe that I was very excited to try.  After my successful pumpkin and sage "risotto" made using riced cauliflower, I've been on the lookout for similar recipes.  This cauliflower rice pilaf had such a unique flavor, it was definitely a nice change up.  Here's how it came together.

Cauliflower rice pilaf
Ingredients:
1 large head fresh cauliflower
cooking fat
10 prunes, diced
2T raisins
1 onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1t ground cumin
1/2t ground cinnamon
s&p

To rice the cauliflower, I chop up the florets in to large chunks and toss them in the blender.  Then I fill the blender to the top with water, pulse the whole thing about 5 times and voila, riced cauliflower!  Just drain it in a colander while you put everything else together.

Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, about 3 minutes. Add  1 tablespoon of coconut oil and allow it to melt. Add the prunes, raisins, onion, garlic and spices. Stir with a wooden spoon to combine and cook until the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.  Toss in the riced cauliflower and saute until the cauliflower is tender, about 10 minutes.  Try a bite, then season with salt and pepper.

I threw some cooked sausage in with everything at the end to make this a complete meal.  

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2013/03/30/cauliflower-rice-pilaf/
 The flavors in this dish were really interesting--the cumin and cinnamon melded really well with the dried fruit.  The Coach and I agreed that it was delicious and worthy to be saved and tried again!

I'm hoping I somehow manage to summon some energy to wrap up this week, wish me luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment