Monday, April 8, 2013

Balsamic Roast Beef

Hello blog world!  Hope you all had a nice start to the week today.  The Coach and I scrubbed our apartment clean yesterday so I felt ready to start this work week on a new positive note.  This past month has been kind of out of control, so I'm determined to leader a calmer life this next few weeks.

keep-calm-and-keep-healthy
http://soaddicted2fresh.com/fresh-life-health/

 Good motto, huh?

Workout

Today's workout was a repeat of one of last week's circuits, so nothing too exciting there.  One of my favorite exercises to do is a kettlebell deadlift, since I know it's a nice booty-builder, and I'm on a never ending mission to reject my flat tush genes.  The biggest kettlebell at my gym is the 32kg, which I can deadlift at 10 reps x 3 sets without too much struggle (kind of annoying, wish there were more options to go up in weight).  I usually try to organize my workout so that I can stay in a small corner of the gym without having to move around too much, though I always feel like I'm being chased around by the trainers--seriously how is it that you need this specific bench, when the entire rest of the gym is free?  Anyway, today was no exception so I dragged out my 32kg kettlebell, turned around to do bench press and when I came back a trainer was all over my corner.   She looked at me and said, "I didn't think you'd be throwing around the biggest kettlebell!"  Ummm is that an insult or a compliment?  Shocked or impressed?  Hmm I'll just assume the latter of the two.  Anyway, when you're in the starting position for a deadlift, you want to make sure the weight is between your feet, you're sitting back with your bum down and chest tall.  Your shoulder blades should be pulled back and your abs engaged.  Then simply explode up, squeezing the crap out of your glutes as you do it.  Then slowly lower the weight back to the floor.

fitness
http://www.empowernetwork.com/1612119k/files/2013/02/Slide1.jpg
That's exactly what I look like when I do deadlifts...in my dreams...where I am apparently from Sweden...

Eats

So after eating the cocoa coffee chili rubbed pulled pork for 3 weeks, I was ready for a change when it came to meal planning this week.  Enter: balsamic roast beef.  Crockpot recipes are my favorite when it comes to lunch protein because I can make a big batch of food at once.  I've made this recipe before and love the flavors.  Plus, the Coach is not big on any kind of slow cooked beef (pot roast, brisket, roast beef, etc) so using the food for a midday meal is a nice way to eat what I like without listening to the Coach complain.  Which he of course does as nicely as possible.  Here's how this recipe came together:

Balsamic roast beef
Ingredients:
3-4 pound boneless roast beef (chuck or round roast)
1c beef broth
½c balsamic vinegar
2T tamari
1T honey
½t cayenne
4 cloves garlic, chopped
 2 sprigs rosemary, chopped

Put the roast in the slow cooker, mix all the ingredients together and dump over the meat.  Cook on low for 6-8 hours until tender, then take the meat out, cover with foil, and let it rest for 20-30 minutes.  For a gravy to drizzle on top, I strained the cooking liquid then boiled it in a saucepan while the meat rested.  Then just pull apart your meat and top with the gravy.  That's it!

Balsamic Roast Beef Recipe from addapinch.com
http://addapinch.com/cooking/2012/10/25/balsamic-roast-beef-recipe/


Seriously, this meal is so good and SO easy.  I mean did you see the directions?  Literally mix and dump.   Can't beat that!  The balsamic vinegar adds a delicious tang to the meat, while the tamari adds a nice salty flavor that balances nicely with the savory rosemary and garlic.  I served this with sweet potato fries and it was a perfect match.  Although lately I've taken to dipping my sweet potato fries in peanut or almond butter, so in order to satisfy that weird but good craving, I sort of ate the meat and fries separately.  Still a total win in my book.

Anyone have any good meals planned for this week??


No comments:

Post a Comment