Saturday, March 16, 2013

Orange Chicken

Good morning everyone!  I was planning on writing something up last night, but I had a goodbye dinner last night for one of my closest friends who's moving to Connecticut today :(  Very sad, so I just couldn't muster the energy to type up anything remotely positive.  Sigh...life will be much less giggly without you, Kellie...

Anyway, I plan on pushing down my feelings of despair by reliving a delicious meal I made last week.

Eats

I've made Health-Bent's Paleo Orange Chicken before and this recipe is just as successful as the ones I've made in the past.  As usual I made some tweaks because I'm incapable of following a recipe exactly.  This is why I don't bake.  My dessert disasters over the past few years: a batch of brownies that were burnt on the bottom and raw in the center, plus a coffee cake made with the wrong size eggs that caused it to basically become a pudding in a bunt pan.  Luckily I have excellent taste in selecting cupcakes from the bakery.  I digress...here's how this one went down:

Paleo orange chicken
Ingredients:
1lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs cut in to bite-sized pieces
3T fat
juice of 2 oranges
zest from 1 orange
1t fresh ginger
1/4c low-sodium tamari (aminos, soy, etc)
1T sriracha
1/4c coconut milk

In a medium skillet heat the oil over medium-high heat and add the chicken seasoned with s&p, cooking until a nice brown crust forms (don't move around your chicken too much, because letting it sits is what creates that yummy coating).  While the chicken is cooking, mix the remaining ingredients except the coconut milk in a bowl.  Once the chicken is cooked, take it out and let it rest on a plate.  Add the coconut milk to the pan for 1 minute, using a spoon to scrape up the brown bits on the bottom.  Then add the orange/ginger/tamari/sriracha mixture to the pan and let it thicken for about 2 minutes.  Next, slide the cooked chicken back in, reduce heat to medium-low for about 5 minutes to let everything hang out and mingle.  Done!

Paleo Chinese Orange Chicken
http://www.health-bent.com/poultry/paleo-orange-chicken
 I served this over steamed broccoli and it was delicious.  I increased the amount of tamari from the original recipe and added coconut milk to make more of a sauce that would coat the veg, which results in a thick, creamy sauce that's hard to not scoop up directly from the pan.  Yum.  Now this recipe is a paleo-take on standard orange chicken, and I should warn you that it does not taste much like its sugary predecessor, but I really recommend you try this one because it's just that good. 

Workout

Yesterday's workout was a solid one.  It combined some of my favorite exercises and was quick to boot.  Win-win.  The program the Coach wrote for me this time around is rocking my world. 

1-arm 1-leg KB deadlift: 5 reps x 3 sets, 20kg max
Chin-ups (assisted): 3 reps x 3 sets, 30lb max (or should I call it min, since the goal is to decrease your assistance?)
KB lateral lunge to press-out: 5 reps x 3 sets, 12kg max
Half-kneel 1-arm KB shoulder press: 3 reps x 3 sets, 12 kg max
Alternating side-plank: 3 x 5ea

I have to admit that I can't do lateral lunges.  For whatever reason doing that move, especially to the left, gives me patello-femoral pain.  I'm prone to that since I have super-duper-hyperextended knees and some loose cartilage floating around my right knee that sometimes likes to cause it to lock up and me to fall down.  So I changed that one to a reverse lunge.  Oh well.  I finished the lift up with battle rope intervals, 20s on 40s off, 10 times.  Hello jello arms.

Hope everyone has some fun weekend plans!

No comments:

Post a Comment