Saturday, March 16, 2013

Lime and Coconut Chicken

Alright I thought March was supposed to usher in Spring.  What is the deal with the snow squal Friday night and the brisk temperatures this morning?  This makes me feel like I'm going to wake up one day and it will have jumped straight to 90 degrees.  And then I'll be complaining again.  Who doesn't love living in the Northeast?

Eats

For some reason I really hate marinating foods.  I used to make a huge batch of chicken every week, which I would marinate one night and then cook the next.  I'm not sure why, but cooking dinner and then having to prep the next night's meal right away always gave me dread.  Once food is on the table, I like to be done in the kitchen; this is one reason why I love the Coach--he does chores that I just hate doing, like cleaning up after dinner.  Lately I've been trying to adjust recipes that recommend marinating by simmering the meat in the marinade, thus turning the mixture in to more of a sauce.  This usually works pretty well because I like to eat lots of ruffage with dinner, and veggies take on a lot of flavor by mixing them with the marinade ingredients.  This Lime and Coconut Chicken had a really interesting flavor, and tasted delicious served along side roasted butternut squash.  It went like this:

Lime and coconut chicken
Ingredients:
1.5lb bonless skinless chicken thighs, cut in to bite-sized pieces
3T cooking oil
zest and juice of 1 lime
1t ground cumin
1t ground coriander
4 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp curry powder
1/2 cup coconut milk
1T sriracha
1 serrano chili, minced
handful of cilantro, chopped

In a medium skillet heat the oil over medium-high heat and add the chicken seasoned with s&p, cooking until a nice brown crust forms.  While the chicken is cooking, mix the remaining ingredients in a bowl.  Once the chicken is cooked, take it out and let it rest on a plate.  Add the mixture in to the pan and use a spoon to scrape up the bits, and let cook for 2 minutes to thicken.  Next, slide the cooked chicken back in, reduce heat to medium-low for about 5 minutes to let everything hang out and mingle.  Top with chopped cilantro and enjoy!

http://chaosinthekitchen.com/2009/07/lime-and-coconut-chicken/


I served this alongside butternut squash mixed with olive and s&p, roasted at 425 degrees for 20 minutes.  The sweetness of the squash went really well with the spicy, savory chicken.  The Coach and I really loved this one, and I'm pretty pumped I was able to adapt this recipe to exclude the marinating process I dislike so much.  Delicious!








Workout

Yesterday's workout was a quick combination of 3 circuits that I was able to bang out in 20 minutes.  Love that!

KB swing: 10 reps x 3 sets, max 16kg
Alternating bear crawl hold: 3 x 5ea

Bench jumps: 5 x 3 sets
Push-ups: 5 reps x 3 sets

Lateral bound: 3 x 3 sets
Dumbell plank row: 5ea x 2 sets, 15lb dumbells

Bear crawl holds are basically when you're on all fours but you're holding your knees up off the ground.  The alternating hold comes in when you lift one hand and the opposite foot, squeezing your abs like crazy to keep your shoulders/hips from shifting around.  It's hard, and harder when you're huffing and puffing after swings.  Swings give me crazy red-face.  I ended this workout with jumping rope intervals, 30s on 30s off, 8 times.  Woof, I was a legit sweaty mess after this--who knew you could become so drenched after 30 minutes?

Gah I can't believe it's already Sunday, who else is ready for a vacation?  I'm going back to CT for a few days next week, and I'm SO looking forward to catching my breath with my family for a bit :)

No comments:

Post a Comment