Monday, March 11, 2013

Comfort Noodles



Hello all!  I hope you all had a fun weekend!  I had a little bit too much fun this weekend...definitely over-indulged food/drink-wise Friday night.  And by "Friday night", I mean all week.  Ugh, not feeling so hot about my downfall.  I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to bounce back from Whole30 with an all out binge fest.  Lesson learned.  I foresee another 30-day detox around the bend, but for now I'm sticking to my 1-cheat meal per week plan.  It's been 2 days, so far so good :)

Workout

After getting my diet straight this weekend, I was more than ready to jump back in to the gym today.  Given my state last week (having a cold / feeling like Violet Beauregard due to my overindulging), I stuck to mostly body weight stuff and cardio sessions.  Today I drove in with the Coach to work out at his gym and was bizarrely hyped up about it.  It's rare that I get to work out at the school while the Coach gets his sweat on too, and I meant to snap a pic of us lifting hard side by side but was shaking too badly from the shock to my system to coordinate that.  Oops.

Today's workout consisted of 12lb medicine ball tall kneel forward pass, standing side twist throw, and overhead slam followed by 15 yard sled pushes with 315lb.  Yeah, that feels just as heavy as it sounds.  For those of you who don't know what sled pushes are, this is what they look like (not me in the pic):
www.fitnessbychrisfinley.blogspot.com
Except the weight was so tough my body was basically parallel to the floor.  I had to remove one plate to even get the thing to move because my sneakers were slipping on the floor.  And I loved every second of it.

Next, I did 5 sets of 5 rack pulls maxing at 110lb and 5 sets of 3 anti-rotation presses for core.  I love anti-rotation presses--keeping your gluts tight and your abs engaged while focusing on not letting your trunk shift, you get a killer core workout easy peasy.  I did mine with a band tied to the weight rack, but you could easily do it at a cable column like this random Internet guy:

www.maloneyperformance.com











This was all followed up by 6 bike sprints, 60s on 60s off.  These metabolic finishers absolutely kill me.

So yeah, solid return to the gym.  And you know I loved pounding that protein shake after.  Oh creamy vanilla goodness, how I've missed you...

Eats

Now on to the good stuff!  I made these Comfort Noodles from The Clothes Make the Girl, a website with some killer paleo eats.  She's the mastermind behind the sunshine sauce and paleo pad Thai that I am beyond obsessed with.  I use that sunshine sauce in stirfries weekly now.  Holy yum.  Here's how this one came together:

Comfort noodles
Ingredients:
4 small zucchini, julienned (using the julienne peeler I talked about in this post, or you can use a spaghetti squash)
generous 1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon almond flour or almond meal
cooking oil
2 clove garlic, crushed
4 eggs, scrambled
s&p

Place the julienned zucchini in a colander or wire strainer and toss with the salt until coated. Allow to sit for 20 minutes to drain excess water, then rinse and pat dry with paper towels. (You may be tempted to skip this step; I strongly advise against it. This step insures tender, rather than watery, noodles.)
While the zucchini is sweating in the colander, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Mix the almond flour with the cooking oil, sprinkle it with a smidgen of salt, then sauté in the pan, stirring often with a  spoon, until it’s toasty brown, about 1 minute. Remove from pan and save for garnish.
Return the pan to the heat and add the zucchini noodles. Sauté until just tender, about 1-2 minutes. Push the noodles to the side of the pan, and reduce heat to medium-low. Wait a minute; it’s essential that the pan cools down before adding the eggs. Add the oil and garlic. When the garlic is fragrant, about 20 seconds, pour in the eggs and allow them to cook until just beginning to set a tiny bit. Mix the zucchini noodles into the egg and continue to stir gently and continuously until the egg is set and clinging to the noodles. Taste, then add salt and pepper to your liking.
Serve noodles in a bowl and sprinkle with the almond flour crumbs.

http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2011/08/18/comfort-noodles/
So deliciously good!  Definitely a comforting meal with the feel of decadent carbonara.  I think this could be delicious with some browned sausage as well to up the protein content. 

Hope that everyone's week is off to  a good start and that you all have some yummy meals and hardcore workouts planned!

No comments:

Post a Comment