Saturday, February 16, 2013

Some Sporty Jewels

Remember those Valentine's Day gifts the Coach promised me?  Well one came Friday and the other one came today: 2 bracelets, one with kettlebell charms and the other from Fashletics with their slogan "Live, Love, Lift".  I'm pretty freakin' happy, because I mentioned to the Coach a while ago that I would love some sort of physical token to remind myself to try to lead a clean life, especially when I'm tempted by treats or feeling too lazy to go to the gym.  I love that he remembered I had said that, and provided me with not one but two options to fit my freakishly small wrists (the most svelte part of my body).


So cute right?  I am so so so lucky that I have such a supportive husband, who is willing to train me on a Saturday morning when I'm having a blah lifting week and eat my sans-sugar desserts!  OK, enough gushing.  For now.

Eats

The Coach is pretty lucky too, because even though I wanted to make something special for Valentine's Day that was Whole30-friendly for myself, I also wanted to make sure it would be something he would love.  And he has a passion for all apple desserts.  Enter: sauteed apples.




This recipe is from Paleo Comfort Foods, by Julie and Charles Mayfield.  It's super quick, and with only 4 ingredients it's a real cinch to throw together.  Plus your home will smell heavenly. 
Sauteed apples
Ingredients:
3 apples, diced with skins on
1 tablespoon butter
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Start by bringing a skillet to medium-high heat, then toast your pecans for 3-4 minutes.  Next add butter to the pan, and once that's melted add apples and cinnamon.  Saute for 5-7 minutes until the apples are at your desired texture and serve.  

The Coach thought there were raisins in there (there weren't), but I think that would be a yummy addition to add when you throw in your apples and cinnamon.  I got some vanilla ice cream to put on the Coach's, and drizzled some coconut milk on mine.  Tastes just like apple pie filling!  The Coach didn't want to part with his long enough for me to take a picture, hence the lap-picture above.  Oh well.

Workout

As I mentioned above, I was lucky enough to have the Coach train me today.  After my great lift Thursday, my muscles were screaming yesterday so I took the day off.  Since I struggled more this week with the high intensity stuff, I opted for a 1:1 sesh today for some extra motivation.  Which I received.  Loudly.  
I did the 100 rep workout today, which included 10 band assisted chin-ups, 10 push-ups, 10 jump squats, 10 inverted rows, 20 squats, 10 more push-ups, 20 alternating lunges, and 10 straight-leg sit-ups, 3 times through.  Ouch.  My arms were shaking by the end, but I know without the Coach I wouldn't have pushed myself nearly so hard so I was very grateful he had time for me this morning.

I followed the workout with a 12 minute metabolic finisher on my own: 20 sec jump rope, 10 sec rest, 20 sec 20lb goblet squat, 10 sec rest, 6 times through, 2 minute break, 6 more times through.  Definitely earned the Chipotle I'm considering getting for my dinner on the way to tonight's hockey game...

That's all I have for now, hope everyone is having a great weekend!

2 comments:

  1. What are your thoughts on artificial sweeteners? Are they allowed on the Whole30?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Artificial sweeteners are a big NO for Whole30--that program (and paleo/primal in general) is focused on real, whole food. For most people, artifical sweeteners wreak havoc on your digestive system (bloating, overall GI distress), and for those who ingest these "foods" regularly, they perceive this state as normal, but in reality your body is reacting to foreign foods and you would likely notice things run more smoothly once your remove those items from your diet. Plus, eating sweet makes you want more sweet, so even though you might be lowering your overall caloric intake, in reality you might also be eating more of other items to satisfy that sweet craving. Personally, I would rather eat natural sweetener (honey, agave or maple syrup) and know that I'm ingesting something Earth-made as opposed to something whipped up in a science lab. Here are some interesting articles I found on the subject:
    http://robbwolf.com/2012/04/20/additive-effect-artificial-intelligent/
    http://www.purdue.edu/uns/html4ever/2004/040629.Swithers.research.html

    ReplyDelete