Saturday, February 9, 2013

Snowed In...Kinda

Hope everyone out there is surviving Nemo!  I have lots of friends and family in CT, RI, MA, NY, and NJ so I hope that you all have or are close to having electricity back.  We were lucky in Clifton Park and got less than a foot so not much trouble up here.  So we weren't truly snowed in, but saying that gave me an excuse to be super lazy all day and not leave the house until 5PM to go to the supermarket.

I was very excited to take a day off from the gym today, but in retrospect given my sloth-like day I will likely be bouncing off the walls any time now.  I usually take a day off during the week, and then make up for it with a cardio sesh on the weekends--my guilty pleasure is watching all the weekend warriors perform their bizarre routines from the comfort of my treadmill.  I see you over there Mr. One-Set-of-Bicep-Curls-Followed-by-2-Laps-Ambling-Around-the-Gym.  Definitely makes the time go by faster.  But the end of Season 1 of Girls just had such a strong grip on me, so my tush stayed firmly glued to the couch until I realized I should have something to show for myself when the Coach got home and trekked out for groceries.

I did have a productive day in the kitchen, though!

Eats

First off, I realized we were out of leftovers for the Coach to bring to work today.  He didn't have to go in until noon so I cooked him lunch to bring, and had enough leftovers for us to eat the same meal for dinner tonight. The food: country captain / curry chicken (apparently this is a very popular dish in the South, where they refer to it as country captain, but it's really just curry chicken).


This meal has been sitting in my bookmarks for a while, and I decided to just go ahead and make it.  I had to buy garam masala which freaked me out, since I've never really had Indian food and wasn't sure exactly what this spice tasted like.  However I recently discovered my love for curry powder, so I decided to just go for it.  Turns out, garam masala is just a mixture of other spices including cardamom, coriander, cumin, black pepper, and cinnamon; I like all of those so how bad could it be?  Turns out, not bad at all.  Actually, pretty freakin good!  I followed the recipe exactly, and also stirred in some steamed, diced butternut squash to up the veg content.


The curry powder gave this dish such a pretty color and it made my kitchen smell heavenly.  This was definitely a meal outside my comfort zone, and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised how much I liked it!  This picture demo's how we typically divide up our food: one smallish serving for me (I usually add some extra vegetable on the side, like some salad greens or shredded cabbage for some crunch) and 2 larger servings for the Coach--one for dinner and one for lunch the next day.

I really like taking the time to make a nice breakfast on weekends.  I knew Friday night that there was a relaxing Saturday morning ahead so I made sure to have the ingredients for my favorite weekend brunch meal: Creole breakfast casserole.  Takes a little bit of time but makes enough for at least 4 hearty servings.  I like to reheat it the next day in a skillet with some butter and it tastes even better.  Here's how it goes:

Ingredients:
16oz sausage (we used breakfast sausage but whatever you like)
1 green pepper, diced
1 jalapeno, diced
1 onion, diced
8 eggs
2 tablespoons hot sauce (add more per your heat tolerance, I added 4 tablespoons, bring it on!)
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce (glad I noticed that this contains sugar, for a Whole30-friendly option go for 1/2 tablespoon red wine vinegar + 1 1/2 tablespoons gluten free tamari/coconut aminos)

Preheat oven to 350.  Brown the sausage in a large over-proof skillet, then add peppers and onions and saute until soft.
Meanwhile, whisk together eggs, hot sauce, and Worcestershire (or Whole30 substitution).
Add the eggs to the meat and veggies and stir quickly until everything is well combined then throw the whole mess in to the oven for 20-30 minutes until the eggs are set.

End result:





I'm really going to need to pretty-up where I take pictures of my food...anyway this casserole tastes delicious and is perfect a relaxing weekend breakfast.  Definitely one to try!

Hope people have some fun post-blizzard plans that don't involve sore backs from all that shoveling!


3 comments:

  1. OK going to need the chicken recipe when you get time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I linked the recipe in the text but here it is:
    http://www.health-bent.com/poultry/paleo-country-captain

    Ingredients

    1 lb. boneless chicken thighs, skinless will work too
    1 onion, diced
    2 t garam masala
    1 t curry powder
    1/2 c raisins
    2 t fresh ginger, minced
    1 can coconut milk
    1 lime, juiced

    Method

    In a skillet, melt some fat over medium-high heat. Salt and pepper the chicken thighs. Sear them on both sides until browned and cooked through. Remove from the pan and place on your serving platter.

    Add the diced onion, garam masala, curry powder and ginger to the saute pan. Saute until the onions are tender. Add the coconut milk, raisins and lime juice. Simmer for a few minutes. Spoon the sauce over the chicken thighs.

    Also

    You will probably have leftover sauce. Here’s an idea to use it up…

    To the remainder of the sauce, add 2 cups of chicken stock. Ta-da, you’ve made a coconut curry soup. Add leftover pulled chicken thighs or roughly dice up a pound of chicken breasts and add to the soup. Let the soup simmer on medium heat until the chicken is cooked through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK thanks, my laptop didnt pick up on the link!

    ReplyDelete