Friday, February 8, 2013

One of my Faves

IT'S FRIDAY!!!!!  I have to say, tonight was one of the harder nights being on Whole30 because I REALLY could have used a glass of wine after a very long week at work.  Sighhhh...I shouldn't complain because luckily I don't have to worry about schlepping in to work tomorrow in the snow and the Capital District is supposed to get less than a foot so I suppose I should be thankful.

So I took a day off from blogging--I hope someone out there missed me.  I had a haircut appointment after work Thursday and wasn't home until 7.   Luckily I made a double batch of one of my favorite dinners Wednesday night and was able to slack off and throw leftovers in the microwave for dinner.  After eating I struggled to even stand up and help the Coach with the dishes so hopping on the computer to blog was definitely out.  There goes my short yet glorious streak womp womp. 

Eats

Did I mention this is one of my favorite meals?  Seriously, so easy and delicious!  I call these my "Unwrapped PF Chang's Chicken Lettuce Wraps", because I am far too lazy to deal with using lettuce leaves for wrappers.  I prefer direct fork->mouth transit, no work involved.  I adapted this recipe from Iowa Girl Eats but changed it up a bit to be Whole30 friendly.  Here's how it goes (this is the non-doubled recipe which makes about 4 servings):

Ingredients:
1lb ground chicken breast
1 medium onion, diced
salt & pepper, a dash of each
2 large cloves garlic, minced
1 inch nob fresh ginger, peeled & minced
1 Tablespoon sesame oil (I don't love the taste of sesame oil so I go half/half here between sesame and olive oil)
3 Tablespoons less sodium tamari (or coconut aminos, soy sauce, etc)
2 Tablespoons coconut milk (if you don't have this or don't want to open a can just for a couple of tablespoons you could easily use broth or water) 
1 Tablespoon sunflower butter
1 Tablespoons rice vinegar
1/2 Teaspoon cayenne (or 2 teaspoons of sriracha if you're not doing Whole30)

Heat a large, non-stick skillet on high.  Add chicken, onion, salt & pepper, and cook until chicken is nearly done, stirring often to break up the meat.  Add in minced garlic and ginger, and continue cooking until chicken is no longer pink.
Meanwhile, combine sesame oil, tamari, coconut milk, sunflower butter, rice vinegar, and cayenne in to a separate bowl and whisk together.
Once the chicken is cooked, add the sauce and stir to combine.  Reduce heat to medium-low for a couple of minutes to let the flavors meld.

I top mine with some roughly chopped sugar snap peas, but you could easily add pretty much any veg or be adventurous and actually wrap these babies up in lettuce leaves.  Here's the finished product:






Soooo yummy!  This is hands down one of my favorite meals to cook at home--it takes about 20 minutes start to finish, tastes SO similar to what you can get at Chinese restaurants, and is truly clean eating.  It's gotten rave reviews from everyone I've fed it to, so definitely try this one, it's a keeper!

Workout

I have officially finished Week 1 of the Coach's program.  All I have to say, is ouch.  Thursday's workout really did me in:


That picture is quite blurry because I was shaking pretty hard after 30/30 bike sprints.  I am so not a runner but for whatever reason sprints on the treadmill are way more tolerable to me than going all out on the bike.  Weird.  My pecs are absolutely killing me today from bench--the Coach belatedly told me that I should have gone up in weight maxing out at the 3rd set and then going back down.  So the end of that story is that lifting my arms to hug the Coach goodbye this morning was seriously painful.  And just for the record, those are assisted chin-ups: still working on my grip strength to be able to do a big girl chin up.   Someday...

Luckily today was more of a high-intensity circuit so even though I was gasping for breath by the end, my muscles had a break from heavy lifting.


I did a tabata with jumping rope and 12kg squats but I'm super bummed because I ordered a jump rope off Amazon that was supposed to come this week and didn't!  All the jump ropes at my somewhat dilapidated gym are broken so I had to search to find one.  Oh well, kicked my booty all the same, even with the scavenger hunt for an intact rope.

Hooray for a rest day tomorrow!  I'm beat.  Getting ready to watch Season 1 of Girls now, waiting for the Coach to come home from a game :)  Hope everyone stays safe in the snow!

5 comments:

  1. I missed you! I effin' love those lettuce cuts, I get them at basically all restaurants I go to. I think, shockingly, I liked the mushroom ones from Cheesecake Factory even better than the one's a PF Chang's. I'm totally gonna try to make these. Last night I made buffalo chicken tenders, their crust was red chili peppers and old bay. Fantastic, you should try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whenever I eat the ones at PF Chang's I feel like I'm guzzling water for days but I always get them anyway. I'll have to try those buffalo chicken tenders--anything with buffalo flavor makes me swoon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the girls might even eat that! Im def going to try them soon! Maybe top with edamame. Do you eat any vegetarian meals (I know "no beans") but im always looking for new recipes to send to school with the girls, also that taste good cold. School rule no meat no peanuts. Just curious! Thanks and I missed you also :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only meat-free meals we eat include eggs. Would that work for you? According to Wiki, eggs from Kosher birds are considered Kosher, but I don't know how reliable that is. You could scramble some eggs in to the Unwrapped Chicken Lettuce Wraps, or even make a meat-free version of the egg breakfast casserole I posted and cut it in to squares for lunch. It might be fun to try making a dip like this one and bring some raw veggies to dip, that way you're getting lots of healthy fats to keep them full plus veggies:

    Roasted Red Pepper Walnut Dip
    Adapted from http://cupcakesomg.blogspot.com/2012/01/twofaced-red-pepper.html

    1 cup walnuts
    6 oz. roasted red peppers (about half a jar)
    3 oz. sundried tomatoes
    2 Tbsp. olive oil (you can also use coconut milk--you might need more to get the right consisitency)
    1 Tbsp. chives
    1 clove garlic
    salt and pepper to taste

    Add walnuts to food processor. Pulse nuts into fine crumbs.
    Add remaining ingredients and pulse until creamy and dip-able. Add more oil or coconut milk to reach desired consistency.

    I'm not a big fan of edamame because I don't really dig the texture plus I'm kind of up in the air as to having soy in my diet. Hope that's helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes eggs are ok for school I make quiche sometimes for Mollie, Ill give this a try also. Thanks

    ReplyDelete