Monday, February 4, 2013

New Workout Program

Wow I don't know about you but my Monday was loooong, and I don't even have the excuse of going to a wild Superbowl party as to why I'm so beat.  Once Beyonce had rocked out my fave Single Ladies and only half the dome had power, I was pretty much out.  It's just so hard to get excited when I don't really care who wins.  Maybe next year, Pats!

Eats

 Those chili lime wings?  Seriously yum.  I  halved the recipe and otherwise followed it exactly except I skipped the fish sauce.  It was cool to be able to cook wings at home, since I always assumed I would have to use a deep fryer (which I don't have) or bread the wings first (which I don't do).  This was a nice baked option with tons of flavor but such a cinch to prepare, which the Coach is pretty pumped about since wings are one of his favorites.  The one thing I would do differently next time would be to set aside some of the marinade to use as a dip, maybe mixed with some coconut milk or pureed with avocado for a thicker texture.  Next time!

Along side the wings I made sweet potato fries.  Not to brag or anything, but I make a mean fry (even without mayo as a dipper, it turns out).  Here's my foolproof recipe:

Ingredients:
3 sweet potatoes
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 tablespoon of salt (seems like a lot I know but these are fries we're talking about)
1 tablespoon of seasoning (my fave is pumpkin pie spice but you can use chili powder, curry powder, etc)
Optional: 1 tablespoon of brown sugar (I used to do this, it really intensifies the sweetness and does have a better result but totally not necessary if you're trying to limit sugar or are doing Whole30 like me)

Cooking:
Preheat oven to 450.
Chop up your pots however you like.  The easiest way for me is to cut one lengthwise wedge off the side of the potato approx 1/2-1" thick, then rotate the pot so that the flat side is against your board for stability, then cut another lengthwise wedge.  Keep rotating until you've cut the whole thing, then slice those wedges in to fries.  Best way to come out of your prep with all 10 fingers intact!
Mix your fries with the oil, then your seasoning.
Cook at 450 for 15 min, toss, then cook for 10-15 more until crispy on the outside and cooked through on the inside.

End result:

Good dinner.

My crockpot buffalo chicken came out delish too.  It was also very easy to prepare (sensing a trend here?) and was simply 1/2c Frank's hot sauce, 1/4c apple cider vinegar, and 1/4c spicy brown mustard plus 6 chicken thighs cooked on high for 4 hours.  By accident I bought regular chicken thighs (as opposed to my typical boneless skinless) so I had to deal with that prior to shredding my chicken.  I prefer everything shredded if possible.  Is that weird?  Tasted very yummy with my lunch today.  Although I think almost anything with Frank's is pretty much the sh*t.

Workout

So as I've said before, I'm very lucky that the Coach writes me a new program each month with minimal nagging.  Today's workout was the first day of a new program (and the first lifting I've done in 1 1/2 weeks).  It was a serious killer and left me red in the face for a good 30 minutes after I finished.  Here's a peek:

Cardio today was a tabata workout: 20 seconds of intense exercise followed by 10 seconds of rest repeated continuously for 4 minutes or 8 cycles.  The Coach's instructions were to actually do 6 minutes or 12 cycles, twice through with a rest in between.  I did battle ropes + 8 body-weight rear-foot elevated split squats each side, but only managed to do 8 cycles each time.  Sweaty.  Mess.

Usually after I lift I immediately pound a protein shake.  My favorite is Mercola Pure Protein Powder in Vanilla.  It has whey from pasture-fed cows, chia seeds, and probiotics, plus the vanilla tastes like cake batter.  Need I say more?  However, on Whole30 protein powders are a no-no so today I had a few slices of Applegate Farms Roasted Turkey Breast (no chemical nitrates, antibiotics, or weird additives).  I go pretty hard at the gym so it's important to get some protein in my system right after I workout to speed up recovery.  However, I will NOT be keeping up the no-shake habit after this month is over--definitely missed my cake batter reward for a good workout.

I'm off to get started on tonight's dinner!  Hope everyone survived Monday and that your week is off to a good start!

1 comment:

  1. Cant wait to try the pumpkin pie spice on the sweet potatoes! I usually make my Butternut squash that way but can see how the sweet potatoes would also rock! If you like Fresh Rosemary try using that in place of the PPSpice, thats how i usually make them! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete