Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Hit or Miss

Welcome back everyone!  I'm happy to see people are responding so positively to the blog so far!  Please comment and let me know how I'm doing--if there's anything else you'd like to hear more or less about (although hopefully not less).

For now let's get down to it.

Workout

I wake up at 5AM most weekdays and am at the gym by 6 (my sweatbox being conveniently less than 5 minutes away).  I am super pokey in the morning.  I like to make myself a nice breakfast of scrambled eggs and sip my coffee while watching the news.  Or trashy TV.  Today trashy TV won--hello Vanderpump Rules!  Anyone else?  Anyway my point is I like to take my time because I feel that when I have a rushed morning it kind of sets me up to be edgy all day.

I had to go in early to work today and I knew I wanted to do day 2 of the Coach's program so I made sure to prep last night to make my morning easier and maximize gym time.  I packed my lunch and set up my gym bag last night to speed up my normally-slow morning ritual.  I was able to do this workout in exactly 30 minutes which would have been more exciting if my lungs weren't flirting with popping out of my chest after treadmill sprints.  Here's what I did:

Looks easy right?  Not.  Plus sprinting all out for 30 seconds with only a 30 second rest is no joke.

Eats

Last night I made turkey tacos for dinner, per my sister Marji's recommendation.  I was pretty medium, although the Coached loved it.  Not everything is a hit I guess.  I'm just not a huge zucchini fan (totally a texture thing) and if something tells me it's going to taste like taco meat then I guess I just expect a "meatier" a.k.a. beefier flavor.  This might have been more my thing made with ground beef.  I followed that recipe exactly and topped it with some salsa.

 
It did turn out pretty though, no?  I know this lukewarm review is making you just itch to cook this, but the Coach ate up every last drop so give it a try if you're curious!  I ended up not eating much of it though and was definitely searching for something to fill me up after this meal.  My go-to in times of culinary crisis?  A big salad.  Insert Seinfeld reference here.  Plus a large handful of pistachios.  Definitely not enough protein though, and I was hungrier than normal today so maybe that's why?

One thing I've had to adjust to with Whole30 is giving up my salad dressing.  I love Maple Grove Citrus Vinaigrette but it has sugar in it so I've been just mixing olive oil, balsamic, and some Dijon for a quick dressing at lunch time.  I've been struggling for years to get the Coach to eat salad, and I only just discovered the secret to tricking him in to ingesting more greens: my own Dijon vinaigrette.  Here's what I do:

Creamy Dijon Vinaigrette
3T apple cider vinegar
1T Dijon
1 clove of garlic (I use 2 but that's because the Coach enjoys trying to keep the vampires away)
salt and pepper
1/2c olive oil
Optional: Handful of basil, 8-10 leaves

Whirl the first 4 ingredients in a blender.  Remove the inner lid of the blender and slowly add the olive oil.  Tada!  If you don't have a blender, just finely mince or grate your garlic with a microplane and slowly whisk in your olive oil.  If you want to add basil, put it in with first 4 ingredients in the blender, or chop it up if whisking the old-fashioned way.

Warning: this is very flavorful and addictive.  It will go quickly.  Also, it tastes better if you let it sit in the fridge for an hour before eating.  This dressing does solidify slightly in the fridge after a couple of days but that's normal--just throw it in the microwave for 10 seconds and that should get things moving.  I double this recipe all the time and it stays good in the fridge for about a week.

Dinner tonight was super delicious so stay tuned for the recipe tomorrow...here's a hint: pineapple was involved ;)

1 comment:

  1. Really?! I loved those Turk Tacs (Like Tic Tacs, right?)! Glad Coach liked them, at least. Boo.

    ReplyDelete