Thursday, February 14, 2013

Happy Valentine's Day!

Happy Valentine's Day!  Hope everyone felt as spoiled as I did today, coming home to this:


 The Coach is a pretty good man.  Also, he told me that I should be expecting a belated Valentine's package in the mail!  I usually hate surprises but I have to admit I'm pretty intrigued...

Workout

Finally, I had a full hour at the gym today!  Felt so good to be able to take my time with the workout.  I left the gym feeling pretty pumped because I benched 100lbs today!  That's a pretty big deal for me because I didn't have a spotter, and it's only 5lbs off from my PR (when I did have a spotter).  Once while doing dumbbell bench presses I pushed myself a bit too hard and lost control of the dumbbell on the way down --> definitely thought I broke a rib.  Not fun.  So after that I've always erred on the lighter said when benching on my own.  Safety tip: when benching alone, always skip the clamps that hold the plates on, because if you can't push the weight all the way up, you can tip the bar to one side and let the weights drop off, then do the same with the other side.  Of course I could always ask someone at my gym to spot me, but since I'm there so early in the morning there's only one staff member who is usually personal training.  And I refuse to ask the guy wearing the weight belt while doing shoulder presses, sorry.


My butt is already sore from all the single-leg squats.  The drive to work tomorrow will be a joy.

Eats

The recipe I'm going to share with you today has earned one of the best reviews from the Coach so far, so I will warn you that if you make this, you might have a sudden influx of flowers from your significant other. 

Paleo pepperoni pizza casserole.  I mean, do I really need to say more?  Anything with pepperoni and the suggestion of pizza is golden in my book.  One of the things I miss most since striving to eat more paleo, is pizza (not that I don't still indulge every now and then), so this is a pretty awesome sub.  I adapted this recipe from Tessa the Domestic Diva, including swapping out the spaghetti squash for frozen squash puree, since you know I simply can't deal with that monstrous vegetable.  Here's how it went down:

Pepperoni pizza casserole
Ingredients:
1 pound ground beef
1/3lb pepperoni
1  onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
salt to taste
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1 tablespoon fresh thyme
8-10 basil leaves
2 teaspoons oregano
2 containers frozen squash puree, defrosted
1 jar of your favorite pasta sauce
3 eggs

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
In a large pan over medium-high heat, saute the ground beef, pepperoni, onion, and garlic.  As the meat is cooking, add in the seasonings (once the meat is cooked, taste for seasoning and adjust as needed).
In a large bowl, whisk the eggs then add in the pasta sauce.  Once incorporated, add in the meat mixture and mix to combine.  Pour the whole mess in to a casserole dish and cook for 30 minutes.
Let the praise and gifts roll in!



So delicious!  The pepperoni really makes this taste like pizza, and the squash ensures you have some veggies with every bite.  Plus the texture is really light from the eggs, with a nice sweet bite from the tomato sauce.  This is a real winner, especially if you have pizza-lovers in your house!

Yay for it being almost Friday!  Hope everyone has some fun/relaxing weekend plans!


No comments:

Post a Comment