Monday, February 18, 2013

Fresh Market

Happy Monday!  HAHA is there such a thing?  Actually, as far as Mondays go, this one went pretty well for me considering my commute to work was about half of what it usually is since schools are off this week.  A traffic-free drive really puts a better mood!

Weekend

Per usual, we had a pretty relaxing weekend.  The Coach wanted to get a workout in for the Russian Kettlebell certification he's doing, so we headed to MY gym Sunday morning.  I really love my gym for lots of reasons, one of them being because it's super relaxed--the Coach never has to pay a drop-in fee to come with me, mostly because almost every time he comes there's no one sitting at the desk when we check in.  However, it can be a little too chill at times, case in point: last weekend a small child was practicing punting a football by the dumbbells.  Bizarre.

So while the Coach lifted up heavy things quickly, I opted for a treadmill walk/run workout from PB Fingers that looked like this:

Those 30 second sprints at 10.0 were seriously tough.  I should say that I did not walk at 4.5 during the recovery between the sprints--I'm only 5'5" so that brisk pace is just a hair under a run for me so it's pretty uncomfortable.  4.0 felt just about right, and I did the whole workout at a 2.0 incline.  After this hardcore early morning workout, the Coach and I definitely felt we deserved something yummy.  Enter: Saati.


The look of this place from the outside just reminded me of Zaftigs, one of our favorite breakfast spots in Boston, so I just felt compelled to give it a try.  The Coach was reluctant to abandon our beloved diner, but the risk definitely paid off in the end.  First of all, this place was empty when we got there at 10:30 which seemed like it could have been a bad omen but it was nice to have a quiet, relaxing breakfast without feeling the need to rush through our meal because there was a line out the door. 

The Coach got a Philly cheesesteak omelet with home fries and toast (which he loved, not a crumb left over), and I ordered a veggie omelet which was full of peppers, onions, and squash (plus the waitress was nice enough to swap out the home fries/toast for bacon YUM).  I have to say, this is the best omelet I've ever had without cheese in it!  Seriously, so delicious I ate every drop on my plate.  Except the one strip of bacon I generously offered to my husband. 

Right when we got the check, the Coach decided he wasn't quite done, and ordered some challah French toast for himself.  Surprise!  Luckily the coffee was good enough so that I didn't get agitated watching my husband gorge on carbs.

I persuaded the Coach to stop at Fresh Market with me after breakfast, basically because I am my father's daughter and could spend hours wandering around a new supermarket, especially a health food store.  Has anyone been to one of these before?  It seemed like a Whole Foods, just smaller.  I probably could have spent an insane amount of money in there, between the fresh ground coffee (admission: we bought some tiramisu flavored coffee to try and it is just as good as it sounds), the grind your own nut butter, and the sick bulk candy section.  We managed to escape spending less than $20 on various random things, including coffee, salad dressing, and a sample of coconut butter.

Did you know that coconut butter is one of the most delicious things ever?  Well it is.  It's also quite expensive but it turns out you can make your own by just dumping shredded, unsweetened coconut in the food processor and letting it work itself out for 10 minutes.  I will be trying this next weekend.  Stay tuned.

Workout

Back to the grind this morning!  My early AM workout looked like this:


Doing any complex 5x through is hard for me, but the most challenging part of this workout was the swings and my quickly elevating concern that my grip strength would fail and the kettlebell would go sailing in to the mirror.  Luckily it didn't, but I did do the last two sets facing an open space just in case.


Eats
I admit it: I did not do much cooking this weekend.  At all.  So I'll share with you an old standby I made last week: buffalo chicken skillet.  I completely copied this meal from my sister-in-law Amanda, and usually make it once a month because it is that good.  Here's how it goes:

Buffalo chicken skillet
Ingredients:
1lb ground chicken
1 onion, chopped
1 pepper, chopped
3 carrots, chopped
salt and pepper
3/4c hot sauce (we like things very spicy, so scale back to 1/2c if you want to save your palate)
1 bottle of beer (I used 1 can of chicken stock to be Whole30-friendly, but the flavor of beer really adds something nice to the dish)

First, heat a skillet over medium-high and add a fat of your choice.  Then add the chicken and move it around until it's nicely browned.  Next add the veggies and let them sweat it out with salt and pepper to taste for about 5 minutes.  Lastly, add the hot sauce and beer (or stock) and lower to a simmer for 10 minutes, until veggies are to your desired consistency and the liquid is reduced by about half.






I ate mine over salad greens and it was delicious.  This recipe is really flexible--add whatever veggies you like, and truly any liquid can sub for the beer (I've used tomato sauce which comes out very nicely too).  This is a favorite in our house, because it's full of flavor and a cinch to whip up.

That's my catch-up post!  Hope everyone's week is off to a nice start!

No comments:

Post a Comment