Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Filipino Adobo Chicken

Happy hump day!  In these neck of the woods, we woke up to a delightful three inches of slushy snow.  Spring can't come fast enough...

On that cheery note, here's a quick status update:

Workout

Yesterday I did the kettlebell complex I've been working on (swings, off-set squats, reverse lunge to high knee, rows, single-leg deadlifts, and foot-elevated shoulder taps), this time using a 16kg kettlebell.  Even though I only did the circuit three times through, increasing the weight to the 16 form the 12kg was enough to whoop my booty.  Unfortunately, I'm still rocking the early-to-work Tuesday/Wednesday deal so I just focused on getting in the battle ropes / rear-foot elevated split squats today.  Let me tell you, I am VERY excited to move on to a new program next week.  The Coach (correctly, of course) thought it would be a good idea to do lots of high intensity work this month to correspond to my Whole30 and maximize fat loss.  I think it's definitely working, but I also think I'm definitely ready to take a break from doing crazy hard work 5 days a week.

Eats

So eats this week so far have been spotty.  Last night I made a Thai beef skillet that was just meh.  It called for honey, which I obviously skipped, and I wonder if that would have made it better.  It wasn't bad, just not nearly as good as all of the other Asian dishes I've made recently.


Monday night I made Filipino Adobo Chicken, and totally forgot to take a picture of it.  Woops.  It came out a bit salty, so next time I'll decrease the tamari to the amount listed below.  I made it with butternut squash mash: just squashed nuked in the microwave (per usual taking the expensive shortcut from the supermarket by buying it pre-cut), then mashed it up with some coconut milk and spices.  Here's how the chicken went:

Filipino Adobo Chicken 
Ingredients:
1.5lb chicken thighs
1/4c low sodium tamari (soy, aminos, etc)
1/3c apple cider vinegar
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 jalapeno, chopped

Heat a skillet to medium-high heat with a cooking fat, and brown your chicken with s&p.  While that's working itself out, mix together the remaining ingredients and add to the pan when the chicken is just shy of done.  Bring the sauce to a boil, then decrease to simmer for about 10 minutes until the chicken is done and the sauce has thickened.  This would be delicious served with any vegetable throw in, like broccoli, snap/snow peas, etc.  Yum!

This recipe was definitely a keeper and I think it would be delicious as a stir fry with the veggies thrown in.

Hope everyone's surviving the week so far, only 2 days left until the weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment