Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Easy Squash, Sausage and Apple Skillet

I am a big fan of easy meals.  Sometimes I like to be more creative and enjoy making a giant mess in the kitchen.  Other times, I regret my choice to cook an Asian meal with approximately 20 ingredients.  Last night, was another one of my simple, 1-pot dishes.  Few ingredients with a delicious result.

Squash, Sausage, and Apple Skillet
Ingredients:
16oz sausage (I used hot sausage from a local company with only 5 natural ingredients, make sure to check out what's in there!)
1 butternut squash, diced
1 onion, diced
1 apple, diced (I used a Cameo apple)
salt and pepper

First, steam your diced butternut squash in the microwave until it's almost done. I'm lazy and buy the pre-cut kind from the supermarket because that is one shortcut I'm willing to pay for.  Meanwhile, brown your sausage in a pan over medium-high heat.  Once it's cooked through, add the onion and some salt and pepper (not too much, you can adjust at the end), stir that around for about 5 minutes.  Next, add your apple and nearly-done squash, salt and pepper again (I like to add s&p a little bit at a time for each layer I add to the pan).  Lower the heat to medium, and cook for about 10 minutes until your veggies are cooked to your liking and the apple is soft.  Then eat!


Very simple dish, and tasted deliciously slow-cooked considering it took less than 30 minutes to throw together, start to finish.  The Coach said it was very good, but admitted that given how flavorful the dishes I've recently made are, this one fell a bit short.  I kind of disagreed, because I thought that the limited ingredient list really allowed each flavor to shine through.  Definitely a make again, and a good dish to have in your back pocket when you have a busier schedule.

Workout

Week three of the Coach's current program and I'm finally feeling really confident with the high intensity workouts!  Took long enough.  Today I just did the battle ropes / rear-foot elevated split squat tabata (20 sec each exercise with a 10 sec rest in between, 6 rounds, twice through).  That complex is so rough that I feel that it's enough of a workout on its own, so I choose to do it without a lift, which is actually perfect when I only have enough time for a 30 min gym session.  Love those quick and dirty workouts where I get right down to it, get it done fast, and head to the locker room as a total sweaty mess.  Perfect.

 Stay tuned tomorrow because I have a DELICIOUS Cuban-inspired dish to share :)

No comments:

Post a Comment