Sunday, February 24, 2013

Coconut Butter Success!

Good afternoon all!  I don't know about you, but I've had a pretty busy weekend.  Saturday and today included lots of running around but I got a lot accomplished, including a pretty sweet manicure yesterday that is still chip-free!  That's a miracle for me.  My body has been grateful to take the past 2 days off from the gym, and the laziness has continued in to the kitchen as my cooking this weekend has been limited to eggs for breakfast for the Coach and me, dressing up large salads, and reheating leftovers.  I don't include the deliciousness mentioned in the title of this post because it was SO EASY it barely constitutes cooking.  Enter: coconut butter.

If you remember last week, I mentioned that I had gotten a sample of coconut butter from Fresh Market.  For a whopping $2.  For 2 tablespoons.  You read that right.  Obviously the larger jar is a better bargain but at more than 10 bucks a pop, still not a go for this cheapie.  I've seen all over Pinterest how easy it is to make your own coconut butter, and the local health food store sells shredded unsweetened coconut for $4.50/lb.  So I bought about 3/4lb, threw the whole mess in my food processor for 10 minutes, and the results were pretty awesome:






When you first spoon it in to a container, the butter is really liquidy (I'm aware that's not a word), from being heated up during the mixing process.  I threw mine in the fridge to solidify because I was too excited to wait for the process to happen in the cupboard.  It solidified in about an hour in the fridge, and I'll be storing it at room-temp now (if you have more patience than I do, which is pretty much anyone over the age of 5, it will eventually solidify if you leave it at room temp).  Let me tell you, I can't believe how easy this was to make!  The texture is so creamy and the flavor so decadent, it tasted like it should have cost a lot of money.  I think next time I might throw some cocoa powder in to the mix, or maybe vanilla extract?  Almond extract?  The possibilities are endless...I kept waving the jar at the Coach I was so excited.

Warning: I have a Cuisinart food processor and it got warm during the 10 minutes, but at no point was I worried.  If you have an older food processor I would just check it to make sure it's not having a panic attack during the transformation.

What do I use coconut butter on?  My favorite part of the day is coming home from work and nuking nut butter and a chopped up banana, then topping with shredded coconut and chia seeds, so today I just subbed the coconut butter for its shredded counterpart and the results were dreamily good.  But this would be good with any fruit, drizzled over sweet potatoes, or as a dessert topping.  Or of course spread over toast or any other sinful pastry for a grainy treat.  I think you would have to heat it up to make it take on the consistency of a nut butter, because as is it really is solid and won't spread or mix in nicely.

Whole30

So I feel as though I should briefly touch on my Whole30 experience so far, since I did a Week 1 recap and then skipped Week 2.  I just finished up Week 3, and am now in the home stretch of my grain/sugar/dairy/legume-free detox.

How do I feel?  Great.  I'm sleeping better, have more energy in the afternoons, and am no longer feverishly hunting for sweets at work.  The biggest change-up for me has been the no-sugar thing, since I had already eliminated all grains and most dairy from my diet prior to starting my Whole30.  I adjusted to milk-free coffee surprisingly quickly, and other than that I am only hurting for my protein shake, in the dairy department.  Legumes were easy too, as the only type I ate with any regularity was peanut butter so that was an easy swap.

The sugar thing has been harder at times, especially when I'm in an environment when I normally gravitate towards sweet things, like buying candy at the movies or reaching for the corkscrew after work.  However, during this process I've realized that I'm the kind of person who can't just have one when it comes to sweets.  Saying no to all temptation is much easier than having 1 piece of chocolate and then knowing how delicious it is (because, come on it really is) and trying to say no to a second, third, and fourth.  When this is all said and done, I'll have to figure out a way to incorporate this sad but necessary truth in to my life.  I'm thinking of limiting sweets just to eating out, because I would be far too embarrassed to order more than one piece of cake at a restaurant.  Hopefully. 

Anyone else trying to reign in their sweet tooth?  I still wish I had gone after my childhood dream of becoming an Oreo taste tester.  Clearly, this girl aims for the moon.

3 comments:

  1. Ah sugar, my addiction. I am 1 day sugar free. I keep trying to tell myself I can just have one day a week where I just eat whatever I want, but if im honest with myself I know that 1 day turns to 3. It aint pretty. Like you I cannot have just 1 bite/piece/taste, but i keep giving myself permission....my struggle reminds me of a scene in "The Bee Movie" Where Siefeld character keeps ramming himself into the window saying "this time, this time, this time....." Mine is a need to control, maybe to prove for once i am normal when i know im not when food is the issue....but maybe i am. Obesity in America, the food culture we live in, huge portion sizes...that is the norm. I admire your commitment to 30 days of this change....the length of time scares me, despite the obvious benefits you are noticing. When I eat crap i feel like crap: I cant sleep, my attitude sucks, i feel guilty, i have no energy, im bloated, nothing feels good. But I own the choice that I make to eat that stuff, and then instantly regret it.....making better choices, making it through 1 day that should be my goal right now. Maybe ill work up to 30...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel your pain. 30 days seemed like a lot to me too initially, but eventually I eliminated so many of the foods on the "avoid list" (grains, legumes, dairy, and sugar), that it wasn't nearly as hard as it sounded to cut out the last few things. But I deal with the exact same thing as you do--I like to pretend that I'm a normal eater and can just do what I want for a day. It's helped me to focus on a healthier way to relax my diet for one day/week--either I'll eat bigger portions of the clean eats I keep in the house, or Dan and I will go out to eat and I'll just get whatever I want out because there I'm limited to what I'm served. But it doesn't always work out that way, and I just try to learn from it the best I can. It helps to keep only clean food in the house. I admire your honesty with yourself, you'll get where you want to be!

      Delete
  2. yeah i should probably not have ordered 16 boxes of girl scout cookies...

    ReplyDelete